Are you tired of feeling like your clothes don’t flatter your body? Understanding your body shape is vital to dressing confidently and feeling great in your skin. Today, fashion is for everyone, regardless of size and shape. But with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to know what to wear. That’s where dressing for your body shape comes in.
Dressing for your body shape is not about hiding flaws or conforming to societal beauty standards. It’s about finding clothes that flatter your figure, enhance your best features, and make you feel confident and comfortable. In this post, we’ll explore the best style tips for different body shapes and how you can enhance your best features.
How to Identify your Body Shapes
There are five different body shapes: apple, pear, hourglass, rectangle, and inverted triangle. Understanding your body shape is the first step towards finding fit and flatter clothes. Let’s take a closer look at each body shape:
1. Hourglass Body shape
A balanced upper and lower body, with a defined waistline, characterize this body type. If you have an hourglass figure, you have a well-defined waist and balanced proportions between your upper and lower body. Show off your curves with fitted tops and dresses that accentuate your waistline. High-waisted skirts and pants can also be flattering for an hourglass shape.
2. Apple Body shape
A larger upper body, narrow hips, and slim legs characterize this body type. If you carry weight around your midsection, you likely have an apple body type. Draw attention away from your midsection with tops that have exciting necklines or embellishments. A-line dresses and skirts can create a flattering silhouette, as can high-waisted pants.
3. Pear Body shape
Wider hips and thighs, a smaller waist, and a more petite upper body characterize this type. If your hips and thighs are more comprehensive than your shoulders and bust, you have a pear body shape. Draw attention to your upper body with tops that have exciting necklines or bold patterns. A-line dresses and skirts can also balance out your figure.
4. Rectangle Body shape
This body type is characterized by a straight, athletic figure with a little definition in the waist. If you have a rectangle body type, you have a straight up-and-down shape with little waist definition. Create the illusion of curves with tops that have ruffles or draping. Belts can also help define your waistline, as can high-waisted skirts or pants.
5. Inverted triangle body shape
Broad shoulders and chests, narrow hips, and slim legs characterize this body type. If you have an inverted triangle body shape, your shoulders and bust are wider than your hips and waist. Choose dresses and tops with a flowy bottom half to create volume in your lower body.
Best Style Tips for your Body Shape.
I’ll share the best style tips for different body types to help you dress to impress.
– Style tips for apple body shape
Here are some style tips to flatter your apple-shaped figure:
- Emphasize your legs: If you have great legs, show them off with shorter hemlines, such as mini-skirts or shorts. This will draw attention away from your midsection and create a balanced look.
- Choose tops with a loose, flowy fit: Avoid tops that are too tight or fitted, as they will emphasize your midsection. Instead, opt for tops that drape over your tummy, such as flowy tunics or blouses.
- Look for tops with v-necklines: V-necklines are flattering for apple-shaped figures because they draw the eye upwards and elongate your torso. Avoid high-necked tops, which can make your upper body appear bulkier.
- Choose the suitable fabrics: Look for fabrics that skim over your midsection without adding bulk, such as lightweight cotton or silk. Avoid bulky materials like heavy knits or chunky sweaters.
- Consider shapewear: Shapewear can help smooth out your midsection and create a more streamlined silhouette. Look for pieces that target your tummy area, such as high-waisted shaping shorts or bodysuits.
– Style tips for hourglass Body shape
Here are some style tips to flatter your hourglass figure:
- Emphasize your waist: The key to dressing an hourglass figure is to highlight your waistline. Look for clothing that cinches at the waist, such as belted dresses, high-waisted pants, or skirts.
- Choose fitted clothing: Fitted clothing can accentuate your curves and show off your figure. Look for tops and dresses that hug your waist and hips without being too tight.
- Opt for v-necklines: V-necklines can elongate your torso and draw attention to your waistline. Look for tops and dresses with deep v-necklines to flatter your hourglass figure.
- Show off your curves with bodycon dresses: They are perfect for hourglass figures because they hug your curves in all the right places. Look for dresses with stretchy fabrics that will conform to your body shape.
- Balance out your proportions: Although hourglass figures are well-balanced, you still want to create a balanced look with your clothing choices. Avoid oversized or baggy clothing that can hide your figure, and instead opt for clothing that balances out your proportions, such as wide-leg pants or A-line skirts.
– Style tips for Pear body shape
Here are some style tips to flatter your pear-shaped figure:
- Opt for A-line skirts and dresses: A-line silhouettes are perfect for pear-shaped figures because they flare out at the hips, balancing your proportions. Look for A-line skirts and dresses that hit at or above the knee.
- Choose darker colors for your lower half: Darker colors can help slim down your lower half and draw attention upwards. Pair dark-colored pants or skirts with lighter-colored tops to create a balanced look.
- Emphasize your waist: A defined waistline can create the illusion of an hourglass figure. Look for tops that cinch at the waist, such as wrap tops or belted blouses. You can also add a belt to dresses to create a more defined waist.
- Balance out your proportions with tops that add volume: Look for ruffles, pleats, or embellishments on the shoulders or chest area. This will draw attention upwards and balance out your lower half.
- Wear the right underwear: The right underwear can help smooth out your curves and create a more streamlined silhouette. Look for underwear that targets your hips and thighs, such as high-waisted shaping shorts or boyshorts.
– Style tips for Rectangle Body shape
Here are some style tips to flatter your rectangle-shaped figure:
- Create curves with clothing: Since rectangle-shaped figures lack defined curves, look for clothing that can create the illusion of curves. This can be done with tops and dresses with ruching, ruffles, or peplum details at the waistline.
- Add volume to your lower half: Create a more balanced look by adding volume to your lower half. Look for A-line skirts, wide-leg pants, or flared jeans that add shape and dimension to your hips and thighs.
- Accentuate your neckline: Rectangle-shaped figures can look great in tops and dresses that draw attention to the neckline. Look for clothing with details like a plunging neckline, ruffles, or embellishments around the collarbone or shoulders.
- Play with layers: Layering can add depth and dimension to your figure. Consider wearing a blazer or jacket over your tops to create more shape.
- Look for clothes that cinch at the waist: Creating the illusion of a defined waist can flatter a rectangular body shape. Look for clothing with a defined waist, such as wrap dresses, belts, or tops with cinched waistlines.
– Style tips for inverted triangle body shape
Here are some style tips to flatter your inverted triangle-shaped figure:
- Balance out your proportions: Since your upper body is wider than your lower body, aim to balance your proportions with your clothing choices. Look for clothing that adds volume to your lower half, such as A-line skirts or wide-leg pants.
- Choose tops with a softer silhouette: Avoid tops that are too tight or structured, as they can emphasize your broad shoulders. Look for tops with a softer silhouette, such as flowy blouses or tops with ruffles or pleats.
- Opt for V-necklines: V-necklines can help elongate your torso and draw attention away from your broad shoulders. Look for tops and dresses with V-necklines to flatter your inverted triangle figure.
- Consider wearing a statement necklace: A statement necklace can draw the eye upwards and create a focal point at your neckline, balancing out your proportions.
- Avoid shoulder pads: Since your shoulders are already broad, avoid adding any extra volume with shoulder pads. Instead, opt for clothing with natural shoulder lines.
Accessories can enhance any outfit and complement your body type. Here are some accessory tips to keep in mind:
- Choose statement necklaces or earrings to draw attention to your face.
- Add a scarf or hat to add interest and dimension to your outfit.
- Wear shoes that elongate your legs, such as heels or pointed-toe flats.
- Add a belt to cinch in your waistline and add definition to your outfit.
- Choose bags that are proportional to your body size and shape.
Dressing for your body type can be a great way to enhance your best features and feel confident in your skin. Following these style tips, you can create a balanced silhouette and feel great in everything you wear. Remember, the most important thing is to wear what makes you feel confident and comfortable.
Tejumola Adesola J. Aka Zizapearls is an event manager, business owner, lifestyle Enthusiast, educationist and a media enthusiast living in Lagos, Nigeria.
Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to check around as there are a lot of fun content you would like.
Click below to follow me.